|Tuffline Ltd, a flexible-barrier, packaging company, was initially set up in 1990 to cater to the in-house needs of The Maharaja Organisation. Within a few short years however, it expanded its horizons and emerged as the premier packaging company in Sri Lanka. Today, its capabilities extend from flexible packaging to the manufacture of HIPS cups, paper cups and multilayer co-extrusions.
What has marked Tuffline's growth has been its initiative and spirit of innovation. As early as 1991, the Company developed a stand-up pouch as well as a material called "Tuffcote" to replace the triple laminate. Both of these won the Company Lanka Star awards. Since then Tuffline has been on a continuous programme of diversification and expansion coupled with continuous innovation.
The Company diversified into offer areas in packaging. Paper cups were introduced in 2000 andth in 2001, the Company invested in multi-layer barrier film extrusion technology.
Today, Tuffline is the only company in Sri Lanka to manufacture multi-layer film with Nylon and EVOH (Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol). Tuffline took this step to support the rapidly growing local dairy industry with this state-of-the-art packaging technology.
The Company is backed by a technically qualified management team to ensure the highest quality standard to the customer. The in-process testing and up to date engineering workshop handle design, major repairs and maintenance. These factors, as well as a well-trained work force and a commitment to innovation and consistence in quality are the key to the success of Tuffline.
High speed printing machine (Latest addition)
08 Colour Rotogravure printing with latest Colour Control & Viscosity controller from internationally acclaimed suppliers.
Tuffline's latest addition to its advanced technology is the 08 colour printer which is identified as the latest brand new machine in Sri Lanka. The objective is to upgrade the local packaging standards for all Food and beverage applications and satisfy printing capabilities to compete in the International Market.
This will be an incentive to source all the packaging materials locally by present exporters and some local manufacturers who imports some of their packaging requirements.
High speed slitter
The high-speed Slitter Rewinder installed in with latest technology, which has the capability store, 30 designs in pre-setting memory. This is latest finishing machine added to the Sri Lankan Flexible Packaging Industry which gives the facility of inspection / slitting.
Tuffline installed its high speed Solventless laminator to demonstrate their commitment to environment and general public. Brand owners has the option of using solventless laminates to ensure zero solvent retention by resorting to this process.
Aluminium lid punching machine has been in operation since January 2014 to cater the Yoghurt and Ice Cream market. The Alu lids are heat sealable and multi colour Rotogravure Printing could be provided for the Brand owners. 1800 Nos. of Alu lids are hygienically packed in special carton for direct feeding to cup sealing machines in Yoghurt and Ice Cream packing. Tuffline is capable of supplying printed HIPS cup, white spoon and printed Alu Lids as a complete package to manufacturers of Yoghurt and Ice Cream.
Tuffline commenced manufacturing of PVC and PET Shrink sleeves since January 2014 with high speed sleeving unit and a label cutting machine added to the production stream. Sleeves are printed up to 08 colour Rotogravure printing as per Brand owners choice.
The applications are mainly for cap sealing/ labels of glass and Pet bottles. Shrink labels are mainly used in Pharmaceuticals, Personnel care, Food & Beverage.
Tuffline presently caters to an elite group of customers including multi-nationals such as Fontera Brands Lanka (Pvt) Ltd., New Dale Dairies, Unilever (Ceylon) Ltd. and Ole Springs (Pvt) Ltd., (the bottlers for Pepsi Cola International). Tuffline also supplies virtually the entire liquid milk market (liquid milk in sachets), which includes companies such as Milco (Pvt) Ltd., Swiss Cheese (Pvt) Ltd. and Richlife Ltd.
In addition, Tuffline also supplies laminates using multi-layer films for packing of oil in sachets to Ceylon Agro and East West Marketing.
Tuffline is a supplier of Paper cups to Pepsi, KFC & Mary Brown operations in Sri Lanka.
The latest production line of HIPS is presently catering to Ambewela, Milco, Lucky Lanka & Cargills.
06 Colour Cup Printer
Tuffline became the first HIPS cup manufacturer to invest in the latest 06 colour Printer which gives the superior most print quality to all Yoghurt and Ice cream manufacturing companies. It is also operated under strict hygienic conditions.
- Sri Lanka Association of Printers Gold Award for Excellence in 2016 for “Nestomalt 400g “.
- Lanka Star Silver Award in 2015 for developing “Coconut Milk Power 1Kg”
- Lanka Star Silver Award in 2015 for developing “ You Regular 10 Pads “
- Lanka Star Silver Award in 2015 for developing “Magi Coconut Milk Power 25g”
- Lanka Star Gold Award in 2014 for developing “Ranscrip Cassave Chips 100 g. Pepper & Salt and Ranscrip Cassave Chips Hot & Spicy”.
- Lanka Star Silver Award in 2014 for developing “Dream Serendib Happy Hugs Single Pack”.
- Lanka Star Bronze award in 2012 for developing “Eva Regular 10 Pack
- Sri Lanka Association of Printers Award of Excellence in 2012 for “Maliban Milk 150g”.
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2011 for developing “Amla Hair Oil” Dream Life Science.
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2011 for developing “Dazzling Facial Wash” Dream Life Science.
- Lanka Star Silver Award in 2011 for developing “Blue Circle Men's Perfume” Dream Life Science.
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2010 for developing “Ambewela Yoghurt Cup”.
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2010 for developing”Cargills Kist Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup Pouch”.
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2010 for developing “Turkey Brand Noodles,Prima Noodles and Ulundu flour for Dil Foods.
- Sri Lanka Association of Printers Award of Excellence in 2010 for "East West Noodles pack"
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2009 for developing "Toffee wrapper Perfetti Center Fruit"
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2008 for developing "Shangrila's series of organic Tea bag"
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2008 for developing "Sleeptime"
- Lanka Star Gold Award in 2008 for developing "Silver Mill Holding thick coconut liquid milk pack"
- Lanka Star Silver Award in 2008 for developing " Stand up Pouch & Crew cap type"
- Lanka Star Bronze Award in 2008 for developing "Cecil Food's Dried Tropical food mix"
- Lanka Star Silver Award in 2007 for developing "Cargills Sumeru frozen meat pack"
- Lanka Star Gold Award in 2007 for developing "Kindai Liquid hand wash" refill pack.
- Lanka Star Bronze award in 2006 for developing High Barrier Double Laminate Standup Pouch for packing of Ayurvedic Medicine.
- Lanka Star Bronze award in 2005 for developing a double laminate with Pet / 3Layer LLDPE (Nylon) for packing of aggressive liquids.
- Lanka Star awards in 2003 for developing the 1st 3-layer film with EVOH in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Association of Printers (Print 2002) certificate of recognition in 2002.
- Sri Lanka National Quality Award in the medium scale-manufacturing category in 1997.
- ISO 9002 Quality Assurance Certification in 1997 by the SLSI and RVA (Netherlands) Quality Accreditation.
- Lanka STAR merit award in 1993 for developing the Lami-tube material in Sri Lanka for the first time.
- World STAR award in 1991 for developing "Tuffcote".
- Lanka STAR merit award in 1991 for developing a material called "Tuffcote" replacing the Triple Laminate.
- Lanka STAR merit award in 1991 for developing the stand-up pouch.
Currently, the Company's product range comprises:
8-colour rotogravure printing with Auto register Control & Auto Visco control
6-colour flexo printing
Extrusion coating and lamination
Off line slitting
Pouch making (centre seal/gusseted centre seal)
Pouch making (Stand up pouch/ 3 side seal)
2 layer sheet extrusion of HIPS & PP
Thermoforming of HIPS & PP
6 Colour printing of cups
6.5, 9, 12 and 16 oz. paper cups for hot and cold drinks
2 layer co-extrusion
3 layer co-extrusion
3 layer co-extrusion with EVOH or Nylon
Moreover, Tuffline is in a position to offer its customers expert advice on choice of materials and other technical inputs to achieve the best solution to an individual packaging requirement. The Company accommodates any size of order for both local and export customers.
Tuffline Quality Management System ,Food Safety Management System & Laboratory Facilities
Tuffline is currently operating under ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System and ISO 22000 : 2005 Food Safety Management System, which are certified by Sri Lanka Standard Institution. Each process steps are closely monitored by competent Staff and final clearance of finished goods are carried out by a qualified staff which includes essential tests.
- Water Vapor Transmission Rate
- Oxygen Transmission Rate
- Determination of residual solvent in laminates.
- Bond Strength
- Heat Seal Strength
- Coefficient of Friction
- Rub Resistence
- Executor Test
- Optical Density
- Melt Flow Index
- Dart Impact Test
At present Tuffline laboratory is fully equipped with latest testing equipments such as ;
Water Vapor Transmission tester
Oxygen Transmission tester.
No.188, High Level Road
Phone: (94-11) 4441012, 4441000-2
Phone: (94-11) 4441007, 4441000-2